Writing about my stroke journey: A deeply cathartic experience

 

Reading and Writing Can Improve Your Life.

Several studies have shown that reading books can make you live longer, reduce cognitive decline, encourage empathy, decrease stress, stave off dementia, boost happiness, and reduce some of the symptoms of depression.

Writing also has many benefits. It can help you work through your thoughts and emotions, regulate your feelings, and teach you to express what you’re going through.

In short, both reading and writing can improve your life in many ways.

The importance of writing down our own Stories.

As someone who has always dreamt of writing a book and a stroke survivor, I have found that writing about my journey has been deeply cathartic. It has helped me to process my emotions, make sense of my experience, and heal.

Writing about my stroke has allowed me to explore my feelings in a safe and controlled environment. It has helped me to understand my emotions better and to come to terms with my experience. Writing has also helped me to identify and challenge negative thoughts and beliefs.

In addition, writing about my stroke has helped me to connect with other stroke survivors and their families. I have found it to be a powerful way to share my story and to offer support and encouragement to others.

“Cathartic experience”

The word “cathartic” comes from the Greek word “katharsis,” which means “cleansing” or “purgation.” It was originally used to describe a medical procedure that was used to cleanse the body of toxins. However, over time, the word came to be used more figuratively to describe any kind of emotional or spiritual cleansing.

The idea of catharsis has been around for centuries. In ancient Greece, Aristotle believed that catharsis was an important part of the theater experience. He argued that by watching tragedies, audiences could experience and release their own negative emotions, such as pity and fear.

In more recent times, the concept of catharsis has been used in a variety of contexts, such as psychotherapy, art therapy, and writing therapy. In psychotherapy, catharsis can be used to help people process and release difficult emotions, such as anger, sadness, and grief. In art therapy and writing therapy, catharsis can be used to help people express themselves creatively and explore their emotions in a safe and supportive environment.

Today, the word “cathartic” is often used to describe any experience that helps us to release negative emotions and feel better. For example, we might say that a movie or book was “cathartic” if it made us cry or feel angry, but also left us feeling relieved or hopeful.

Here are some examples of cathartic experiences:

  • Watching a sad movie and crying
  • Listening to a powerful song that makes you feel emotional
  • Talking to a friend or therapist about your problems
  • Writing about a difficult experience in a journal
  • Creating art that expresses your emotions
  • Doing something physically challenging, such as exercise or yoga

If you are feeling overwhelmed by negative emotions, it is important to find healthy ways to express and release them. Cathartic experiences can be a helpful way to do this.

Emotional and psychological benefits of writing about your stroke journey:

  • Processing emotions. Writing can help you to process your emotions and to make sense of your experience.
  • Healing. Writing can help you to heal from your stroke and to move forward with your life.
  • Self-discovery. Writing can help you to learn more about yourself and to discover your strengths and weaknesses.
  • Connection. Writing can help you to connect with other stroke survivors and their families.
  • Empowerment. Writing can help you to feel empowered and to take control of your life.

Why did I write my memoir?

I wrote my memoir, “Miracle in the Desert: A Journey of self-discovery after a stroke” to share my story to inspire others and remind everyone that life is beautiful even after a stroke. I believe that our attitude and perspective play a vital role in our healing process.

Through my memoir, I want to show others that it is possible to overcome the challenges of a stroke and live a full and meaningful life. I want to inspire them to never give up on themselves or their dreams.

I also want to remind everyone that life is precious and that we should cherish every moment. A stroke can be a life-changing event, but it does not have to define us. We can choose to see our stroke as an opportunity for growth and transformation.

What is your proudest achievement since your stroke?

It is definitely writing my book. It was my childhood dream, and because I typed it on the keyboard of my laptop with my left hand after my stroke took away my dominant hand. I hope my achievement makes everyone understand that even after a stroke, we can have a productive life and achieve our dreams.

I have always loved to write. When I was a child, I would spend hours writing stories and poems. I dreamed of one day becoming a published author.

After my stroke, I was devastated. I didn’t think I would be able to write again. But I was determined to prove myself wrong. I started typing with my left hand, slowly at first, but I gradually got faster.

I typed my book in just three months. It was a lot of hard work, but it was also incredibly rewarding. I am so proud of what I accomplished.

I hope my story inspires others to never give up on their dreams. Even if you face challenges, it is still possible to achieve your goals.

Taking a bird’s eye view of your story

Writing about my story was like taking a bird’s eye view. It helped me to see it with a more distant, analytic way. It was like watching a story and providing my comments on it.

When I am writing, I can step outside of myself and look at my story as if it were happening to someone else. This allows me to see the patterns and themes that emerge, and to identify the lessons that I have learned.

It is like looking through a window and describe what you are seeing.

Benefits of taking a bird’s eye view of your story:

  • Gain a deeper understanding of yourself. When you can see your story from a more objective perspective, you are better able to understand your motivations, your strengths, and your weaknesses.
  • Identify patterns and themes. When you look at your story in its entirety, you can start to see patterns and themes emerge. This can help you to understand your life journey better and to identify the lessons that you have learned.
  • Process your emotions. Writing about your story can help you to process your emotions in a more constructive way. When you can put your feelings into words, you are better able to understand and manage them.
  • Gain closure. Writing about your story can help you to gain closure on past experiences. This can be especially helpful for people who have experienced trauma or loss.

Famous memoirs about life stories like mine

  • When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi: A neurosurgeon with a terminal illness reflects on his life and his work.
  • The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls: A memoir of growing up in a poor, dysfunctional family.
  • Educated by Tara Westover: A memoir of growing up in an isolated family in Idaho and pursuing a formal education.
  • Becoming by Michelle Obama: A memoir of Michelle Obama’s life, from her childhood in Chicago to her time as First Lady of the United States.
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X and Alex Haley: A memoir of Malcolm X’s life, from his early life in Harlem to his conversion to Islam and his assassination.
  • Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand: A biography of Louis Zamperini, an Olympic athlete, and World War II prisoner of war.
  • The Diving-Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby: A memoir of Jean-Dominique Bauby, a French journalist who suffered a stroke that left him paralyzed except for his left eye.
  • Tell Me Everything You Don’t Remember by Christine Hyung-Oak Lee: A memoir of Christine Hyung-Oak Lee, a Korean American adoptee who was reunited with her biological family after many years.
  • My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor: A memoir of Jill Bolte Taylor, a neuroscientist who suffered a stroke that allowed her to experience the world from a different perspective.
  • Stronger by Jeff Bauman and Bret Witter: A memoir of Jeff Bauman, a man who lost his legs in the Boston Marathon bombing.
  • Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan: A memoir of Susannah Cahalan, a young woman who was diagnosed with a rare neurological disorder that caused her to lose her memory and experience psychosis.
  • Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl: A memoir of Viktor Frankl’s experiences in a Nazi concentration camp.
  • The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk: A book about the effects of trauma on the body and mind.

These memoirs are all inspiring stories of people who have overcome adversity and found meaning and purpose in their lives. I hope they provide you with comfort and support as you write your own memoir.

Writing as Therapy

Mental Benefits of Writing

In a classic study, James Pennebaker, PhD., found that people who wrote about their traumatic experiences for 15 minutes each day for four days had fewer visits to the doctor in the following six months.

Many other studies have since replicated these findings, showing that expressing emotions through writing can lead to better health.

Writing therapy workshops and interventions often start by asking participants to write about the most traumatic experience of their lives for three days.

This type of focused, expressive writing may be the next wave of writing therapy.

It can provide a healthy outlet for people to work through their ups and downs, regardless of whether they write in a journal, use journal prompts, or simply put pen to paper and write freely.

Physical Benefits of Writing

Research has also shown that writing can improve physical wellbeing. For example, a study by Pennebaker and Joshua Smyth, PhD., found that writing about emotions and stress can boost immune functioning in patients with HIV/AIDS, asthma, and arthritis.

Another study even showed that biopsy wounds healed more quickly in patients who journaled.

Scientists aren’t exactly sure how therapeutic writing works, but they believe that it’s important for writers to do more than just replay the events they’re writing about. They should also try to understand and contextualize those events.

How to Start Therapeutic Writing

Here are five steps to get started with therapeutic writing:

  1. Carve out time. You don’t have to write every day, but aim for 15 minutes three to four days a week.
  2. Experiment with your method. There’s nothing magic about writing by hand. You could also try typing or doing voice memos. The point is to be thoughtful about the experience.
  3. Find the right place. Where you write can affect how you feel about it and whether or not it “works.” The most important thing is having a quiet place.
  4. Don’t edit yourself. Part of the exercise is to access your feelings, and you can’t do that if you’re constantly redirecting yourself.
  5. Reread…just not right away. It’s a good idea to go back and see what you’ve written, but don’t get carried away with it. If you read your previous entries before you start, it might influence what you end up writing.

Conclusion

If you are considering writing about your own personal story, I encourage you to do so. It can be a powerful and transformative experience.

Comments