Writing a Book in 90 Days as a Stroke Survivor Lessons Learned

 

I am a stroke survivor, aeronautical engineer, and first-time author. I recently wrote a memoir about my journey with a stroke. While writing is not an easy task for anyone, it is especially challenging for a stroke survivor with physical limitations. My right hand, which was my dominant hand, does not work so I had to type the entire draft using my left hand only.

I planned and committed myself to write the first draft in 90 days. Therefore, I started typing on April 15, 2023, and completed it on July 15, 2023. It was not the best, but I knew it was a solid foundation to build on.

Statistics say that most people would like to write a book, but only a limited percentage will be able to publish it. Most people will give up along the way or will never actually start writing.

But I was determined to write my book. I knew that I had a story to tell and that it was important for me to share it with the world.

I faced many challenges along the way. I had to learn to type with one hand. I had to deal with fatigue and other cognitive effects of my stroke. And I had to overcome my own self-doubt.

But I persevered. I wrote one word at a time. I took breaks when I needed them. And I celebrated my small successes.

On September 8th, 2022, I was on a training run in Abu Dhabi (UAE) with my running club when I suddenly felt unwell and collapsed. My friends rushed to my aid and called for emergency assistance. I was taken to Sheikh Shakhbout Medical City, where I was diagnosed with a stroke.

I spent two weeks at Sheikh Shakhbout Medical City stabilizing and recovering. Once I was stable enough, I was transferred to NMC ProVita International Medical Centre to begin my rehabilitation journey. Rehabilitation was challenging, but I was determined to recover as much as possible. I worked hard with my physical therapists and occupational therapists to regain my mobility and strength.

On December 24th, 2022, I was discharged from NMC ProVita International Medical Centre. I continued my rehabilitation at home and with Etihad Medical. By mid-January, I had received clearance to return to work. On January 23rd, 2023, less than five months after my stroke, I walked into my office and resumed my duties as an aeronautical engineer.

My recovery has been nothing short of miraculous. I am grateful for the support of my family, friends, and medical team. I am also grateful for my own determination and perseverance. I never gave up hope, even when the odds were stacked against me. I am living proof that anything is possible.

I recently wrote the first draft of my first memoir in 90 days, and I wanted to share the lessons I learned from my writing journey with other stroke survivors, and anyone interested in writing their own stories.

Writing a book is hard work, but it is also incredibly rewarding. I have found that writing about my journey has been deeply cathartic. It has helped me to process my emotions, make sense of my experience, and heal.

Writing about my stroke has allowed me to explore my feelings in a safe and controlled environment. It has helped me to understand my emotions better and to come to terms with my experience. Writing has also helped me to identify and challenge negative thoughts and beliefs.

In addition, writing about my stroke has helped me to connect with other stroke survivors and their families. I have found it to be a powerful way to share my story and to offer support and encouragement to others.

I am incredibly proud to have written a book, a childhood dream that I have finally achieved. This is even more remarkable because I typed it with my left hand only, after my stroke took away my dominant hand.

Writing has always been my passion. As a child, I would spend hours writing stories and poems, dreaming of becoming a published author. When I had a stroke, I was devastated. I was worried that I would never be able to write again. But I was determined to prove myself wrong. I started typing with my left hand, and slowly but surely, I got faster.

I am so grateful that I have been able to overcome this challenge and achieve my dream. I hope that my story will inspire other people who have faced similar setbacks. Never give up on your dreams, no matter how difficult they may seem.

I will self-publish my memoir, but I am sure my lessons can apply also to traditionally published authors.

Here are eight lessons I learned from writing a book in 90 days as a stroke survivor:

Lesson 1: Use Structured Outlines and Bullet Points.

What is a structured outline?

A structured outline is a detailed plan for your writing. It includes the main points of your story, as well as the supporting details and transitions. Structured outlines are often used by writers of novels, screenplays, and other long form works.

There are many ways to create a structured outline. One popular method is the 3-act structure. The 3-act structure is a classic storytelling technique that divides a story into three parts: the beginning, the middle, and the end.

  • Beginning: The beginning of the story introduces the main characters, setting, and conflict.
  • Middle: The middle of the story is where the conflict escalates and the characters face challenges.
  • End: The end of the story is where the conflict is resolved, and the characters learn valuable lessons.

What are bullet points?

Bullet points are a concise way to list the main points of your story or writing. They are often used in conjunction with structured outlines, but they can also be used on their own.

Bullet points can be helpful for brainstorming ideas, organizing your thoughts, and tracking your progress.

How to use structured outlines and bullet points

To use structured outlines and bullet points effectively, follow these steps:

  1. Brainstorm your ideas. Write down all your ideas for your story, no matter how crazy or outlandish they may seem.
  2. Organize your ideas. Once you have a list of ideas, start to organize them into a logical order. This is where structured outlines and bullet points can be helpful.
  3. Create a structured outline. If you are writing a long-form work, such as a novel or screenplay, you may want to create a structured outline. This will help you to plan your story and ensure that it is well-paced and balanced.
  4. Use bullet points to track your progress. Bullet points can be helpful for tracking your progress as you write. You can use them to list the main points of each chapter or scene.
  5. Revise and edit. Once you have finished writing your draft, take some time to revise and edit it. Pay attention to the flow of your story and make sure that all of the elements are working together.

How I used structured outlines and bullet points to write my memoir

I used a mix of structured outlines and bullet points to write my memoir. I outlined my draft based on the 3-act structure, and I also used bullet points to track my progress and to brainstorm new ideas.

I also used to take notes on my phone and laptop any time I had an idea about new things to write or to correct existing ones. I did not use vocal dictation with Words because I wanted to train my single hand typing which was also required for my job.

Benefits of using structured outlines and bullet points

There are many benefits to using structured outlines and bullet points, including:

  • Organization: Structured outlines and bullet points can help you to organize your thoughts and ideas.
  • Clarity: Structured outlines and bullet points can help you to write more clearly and concisely.
  • Flow: Structured outlines and bullet points can help you to create a story with good flow and pacing.
  • Progress: Structured outlines and bullet points can help you to track your progress and stay on track.

Conclusion

Structured outlines and bullet points are valuable tools for writers of all levels. They can help you to organize your thoughts, plan your story, and track your progress.

Lesson 2: Set realistic goals.

Don’t expect to write a masterpiece in 90 days. Break down your writing goal into smaller, more manageable tasks. For example, you could set a goal to write 1,000 words per day or to complete one chapter per week.

It is also important to set deadlines for yourself but be flexible. There will be days when you don’t feel like writing, and that’s okay. Don’t beat yourself up about it. Just pick up where you left off the next day.

When I started, I was aiming for around 60,000 words in total. When I set out to write my book, I knew it would be a challenge. I had just suffered a stroke, and my dominant hand was paralyzed. But I was determined to succeed. I set a daily word count goal of 600 words.

On some days, writing was easy. The words flowed smoothly, and I felt like I was in a zone. But on other days, it was a struggle. I would stare at the blank page for hours, unable to think of a single thing to say.

On those days, I would remind myself of my goal. I would tell myself that even if I could only write a few hundred words, it would still be progress. And I would keep writing until I reached my daily goal.

There were also days when I had to prioritize other things, such as my physical therapy and rehabilitation exercises. On those days, I would make up for lost time by writing more words on other days.

It took me the full 3 months to complete the first draft of my book, but I eventually reached my goal of 60,000 words. I am so proud of what I have accomplished. Writing this book was a way for me to process my experience and share it with others. It was also a way for me to challenge myself and prove that I was capable of anything, even after a stroke.

I am grateful for the support of my family and friends during this journey. They encouraged me to keep writing, even when I felt like giving up. I am also grateful for my own determination and resilience. I never gave up on my dream of writing a book, even when it seemed impossible.

I hope my story inspires others to pursue their dreams, no matter how difficult they may seem. With hard work and dedication, anything is possible.

Lesson 3: Create a writing routine.

One of the most important things I learned during my writing journey was the importance of scheduling time to write each day. Even if it’s just for 15 minutes, setting aside some time each day to write will help you make progress on your project.

It’s also important to find a writing space where you can focus and be creative. Eliminate distractions as much as possible. This may mean finding a quiet spot in your house, going to a library, or even writing in a coffee shop.

If you’re struggling to find the motivation to write, try setting a specific word count goal for each day or week. This will give you a sense of accomplishment and help you stay on track.

Here are some additional tips for overcoming writer’s block and finding inspiration:

Take breaks. If you’re feeling stuck, get up and move around. Go for a walk, listen to some music, or do something else that you enjoy. Sometimes, all you need is a change of scenery to get the creative juices flowing again.

Freewrite. Freewriting is a great way to get your thoughts flowing and to generate new ideas. Simply set a timer for 10 or 15 minutes and start writing whatever comes to mind, without worrying about grammar or spelling.

Read. Reading is one of the best ways to improve your writing skills. It also exposes you to new ideas and writing styles.

Talk to other writers. Talking to other writers can be a great way to get feedback on your work and to learn from their experiences.

I found that writing in the morning before I started my day was most helpful for me. I was able to focus and be creative before the distractions of the day set in.

When I could not find the will to write, I would go on my static bike and while biking I would look outside the window to find inspiration. The exercise helped to clear my head and get my creative juices flowing.

Lesson 4: Don’t be afraid to experiment.

Try different writing styles. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Use your unique perspective to your advantage.

I experimented with different writing styles before I found one that worked for me. I wanted to write in a style that is clear, concise, and engaging for a 5th grade audience. I was inspired by the brevity and simplicity of Ernest Hemingway’s writing.

Hemingway was a master of using simple language to create vivid images and evoke strong emotions in his readers. He avoided complex sentences and unnecessary words. He also used active verbs and strong nouns.

I strive to emulate Hemingway’s writing style in my own writing. I want my readers to be able to easily understand my work and to be transported to the world of my stories. I also want my writing to be inspiring and to encourage young readers to develop their own love of writing.

Here are some specific things I do to achieve a Hemingway-inspired writing style for a 5th grade audience:

1. I use short and simple sentences.

2. I avoid complex clauses and phrases.

3. I use active verbs instead of passive verbs.

4. I use strong nouns instead of weak nouns.

5. I use concrete language instead of abstract language.

6. I avoid unnecessary words and phrases.

I also try to use vivid imagery and sensory details in my writing. I want my readers to be able to see, hear, smell, taste, and feel the world of my stories. For example, instead of saying “The house was big,” I might say “The house was a giant, looming mass of stone and brick.”

I believe that writing in a Hemingway-inspired style is a great way to engage young readers. It is also a great way to teach them how to write clearly and concisely.

On the same was my editor’s feedback, “Your writing style works well. It gives the reader the opportunity to develop a personal connection with you and your story, and that’s great. Your story and writing style engage the reader, increasing the possibility of your book making a true impact.”

Lesson 5: Get feedback from others.

Once you have a draft of your book, it is important to ask others to read it and give you feedback. This could be friends, family, other writers, or even professional editors.

Feedback can be helpful in identifying areas where your writing needs improvement. For example, your beta readers may point out areas where your plot is confusing, your characters are underdeveloped, or your dialogue is unrealistic.

It is important to be open to criticism and to use it to improve your writing. Remember, feedback is a gift. It is an opportunity to learn and grow as a writer.

Here are some tips for getting the most out of feedback:

Ask specific questions. Instead of asking for general feedback, ask your beta readers to focus on specific aspects of your writing, such as your plot, characters, dialogue, or setting.

Be open to all types of feedback. Even if you don’t agree with all the feedback you receive, be willing to consider it. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Don’t take feedback personally. Remember that feedback is about your writing, not about you as a person.

Take your time to revise. Don’t try to incorporate all the feedback you receive at once. Take some time to think about it and to decide which changes you want to make.

I asked several people to read part of my book before I published it. Their feedback was invaluable. It helped me to identify areas where I needed to improve my plot, develop my characters, and tighten my dialogue.

I am so grateful to the people who took the time to read my book and give me feedback. Their help made my book a better work of literature.

Lesson 6: Don’t give up.

Writing a book is hard work, but it’s worth it. Keep writing, even when things get tough. Believe in yourself and your story.

There were many times when I wanted to give up, but I kept going. I knew that I had a story to tell and that it was important for me to share it with the world. This is some advice from a stroke survivor who had to face challenges every day.

Writing a book is a challenging but rewarding experience. If you have a story to tell, don’t let your stroke stop you. Keep writing, and eventually, you will achieve your goal.

Lesson 7: AI as a Tool for Writing and Editing

AI writing tools like ChatGPT and Bard can be incredibly helpful for writers of all levels, including those who have suffered a stroke. These tools can help with a variety of tasks, such as:

Editing and proofreading: AI writing tools can help to identify and correct typos, grammar errors, and other mistakes in your writing.

Finding alternative words and phrases: AI writing tools can suggest alternative words and phrases to help you improve your writing style and clarity.

Brainstorming ideas: AI writing tools can help you to brainstorm ideas for new chapters, characters, and plot developments.

If you are a stroke survivor who is writing a book, I encourage you to consider using AI writing tools. They can be an asset in your writing journey.

Here are some specific tips for using AI writing tools:

Use them to supplement your own writing process, not to replace it. AI writing tools are not a magic bullet. They cannot write a book for you. But they can be helpful tools for editing and proofreading your work, finding alternative words and phrases, and brainstorming ideas.

Be selective about the AI writing tools you use. Not all AI writing tools are created equal. Some tools are better at certain tasks than others. Do some research to find tools that are suited to your specific needs.

Use AI writing tools with a critical eye. Don’t blindly accept everything that an AI writing tool suggests. Always review your work carefully before making any changes.

I used AI writing tools to edit my book because I am prone to spelling mistakes and typos by using only my left hand for typing. I also used them to find alternative words and phrases and to brainstorm ideas for chapters.

AI writing tools were an asset in my writing journey. They helped me to produce a better book than I could have written on my own.

Lesson 8: Self-doubts, shall I embrace it or ignore it?

When I started writing my memoir, I was plagued with self-doubt. I didn’t think I had what it takes to write a book. I was stuck in an impostor syndrome tantrum.

I kept writing anyway, one word at a time. But even after I finished the first draft, I was terrified to send it to my freelance editor. I was so anxious and scared of receiving negative feedback.

But to my surprise and delight, the editor’s feedback was positive. They praised my story and my writing style. They said that my story was engaging and inspiring, and that they could see it appealing to a wide audience.

I was so happy to receive positive feedback from my editor. It validated my hard work and showed me that my story was worth telling.

I know that doesn’t mean my memoir will become a bestseller, but it doesn’t matter. What matters is that I shared my story with the world and that someone found it valuable.

Impostor syndrome is a common experience for writers, especially first-time authors. It’s important to remember that you’re not alone. If you’re struggling with impostor syndrome, here are a few tips:

  • Acknowledge your feelings. It’s okay to feel self-doubt. Just don’t let it stop you from writing.
  • Focus on your story. Remind yourself why you’re writing your memoir in the first place. What story do you want to tell? Why is it important to you?
  • Get feedback from others. Share your writing with trusted friends, family members, or other writers. Ask them for their honest feedback.
  • Celebrate your successes. No matter how small they may seem, take the time to celebrate your accomplishments. Finishing a chapter, completing a draft, or receiving positive feedback are all successes worth celebrating.

Remember, you have a story to tell, and the world needs to hear it. Don’t let impostor syndrome stop you from sharing your voice.

Additional tips

  • Absorb as many resources as you can. Read other books in your genre, online blogs, references, and watch videos about writing.
  • Be specific and actionable. Don’t just tell readers what you learned, show them how to apply those lessons to their own writing.
  • Be honest and vulnerable. Share your personal stories and experiences as a stroke survivor and writer.
  • Be positive and inspiring. Offer encouragement to other stroke survivors who are interested in writing. Share your plans as a writer and show them that it is possible to achieve their dreams.

Resources

  • Books:
  • 90 Days to Your Novel by Sarah Domet
  • The 90-Day Novel by Alan Watt
  • How to Write a Book in 90 Days by David Samuel Levinson
  • Writing Through the Fog by Catherine Newman
  • From Stroke to Story by Pamela Duncan Edwards
  • Online blogs:
  • The Writer’s Digest blog
  • The Write Life blog
  • The Write Practice blog
  • NaNoWriMo blog
  • Stroke Survivors Writing blog.
  • References:
  • Writer’s Digest
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • Grammarly
  • ProWritingAid
  • Hemingway Editor
  • Videos:
  • The Write Life YouTube channel
  • NaNoWriMo YouTube channel
  • Ted-Ed YouTube channel
  • TED Talks YouTube channel
  • Stroke Survivors Writing

Conclusion

Writing my memoir in 90 days was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I learned a lot about myself, about the writing process, and about the power of perseverance. I also learned that it is possible to achieve your dreams, no matter what obstacles you face.

If you are a stroke survivor who is thinking about writing a memoir, I encourage you to go for it! Set realistic goals, create a writing routine, be honest and vulnerable, get feedback from others, and don’t give up. You can do it!

I am excited to continue writing books about my journey. I want to share my story with others and inspire them to never give up on their dreams. I am also considering writing a cookbook for people with limited mobility. I loved cooking before my stroke, and I am now learning to adapt to cooking with only one hand. I believe that cooking can be a therapeutic and empowering activity for people with disabilities, and I want to help others find the joy of cooking, even with limited hand use.

I am grateful for the opportunity to share my story with the world. I hope that my writing will inspire others to live their lives to the fullest, no matter what challenges they face.

Comments